Little Rock, Arkansas -
LITTLE ROCK, AR - Twelve apartments are reported lost in a fire that broke out Monday afternoon at the Chapel Ridge complex on Chenal Parkway.
Fire officials say the cause of the blaze was unattended cooking.
Crews were called to 24800 Chenal Parkway around 1:00. That's just across Highway 10.
Smoke could be seen rising from the upper half of Building 9, where the roof was in flames.
Minutes later, photos from the scene showed there was little left of the whole upper section of the building where only remnants of the roof remained and the apartments there were gutted.
Nearly a dozen fire crews were dispatched to the scene.
Whipping winds made it difficult for crews to fight the flames.
Residents we talked to said they grabbed what they could and ran to escape the burning building.
One woman said she heard pounding from the unit above hers and that it sounded like someone jumping up and down before she looked out her door and saw all the smoke.
"We've got a lot of our neighbors that lost a lot, especially the lady that lives up there, she lost everything and she just moved in a couple of months ago. I've been here five years", says resident Sharon Joyner-Clarke.
Everyone escaped the flames and the Red Cross is providing them with emergency assistance.
The flames also left heat damage on the side of a building next door.
Little Rock Fire Department officials say that so many units were dispatched to the fire that backup crews were called in from North Little Rock and Bryant to cover for the city while crews were at the apartment complex scene.
A drenched Northern California will get another round of heavy…
Malaysian police are looking for four more suspects, all of them…
China says it'll halt all coal imports from North Korea from Sunday…