Arkansas Department of Emergency: Severe Storms Hitting AR
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR (News Release) – Several Arkansas communities are recovering after severe weather, including tornadoes moved through the state yesterday evening causing widespread damage and killing 11 people. Faulkner and Pulaski Counties each have confirmed five deaths and one has been confirmed in White County.
The Arkansas National Guard was deployed to assist with response efforts. Judges in Faulkner and White Counties have made disaster declarations to the State Emergency Operations Center at the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM). Current damages include destroyed homes, downed trees and power outages.
ADEM recommends the following information for people in the affected area:
· Continue to monitor your battery-powered radio or television for emergency information.
· Be careful when entering any structure that has been damaged.
· Wear sturdy shoes or boots, long sleeves & gloves when handling or walking near debris.
· Be aware of hazards from exposed nails and broken glass.
· Do not touch downed power lines or objects in contact with downed lines. Report electrical hazards to the police and the utility company.
· Cooperate fully with public safety officials.
The current situation report is available on the ADEM website.