UPDATE: No Charges for Police in August 2016 Death

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.- On Friday authorities learned that the officers' use of  force  that were involved in the incident was justifiable and that Marcus Sexton died due to a methamphetamine intoxication.
Original Story:
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - The family of a 22-year-old man who died while in Little Rock police custody claims excessive force caused his death.
Marcus Sexton died just after being taken into custody. The incident happened on Stagecoach Road in West Little Rock near Pulaski Technical College on the evening of August 4th.
According to a police report, officers heard someone breaking into a home and then heard a woman yelling.
Officers claim they tried arresting Sexton but he resisted. The report shows officers took Sexton to the floor to try and put him in handcuffs and that's when an officer put his knee on Sexton's back. The report goes onto claim Sexton kicked an officer and that's when an officer punched Sexton in the back.
Sexton's father Jacob Sexton says police misjudged the 22-year-old.
"They stereotyped him. He was a big fellow. He was buff and he was sleeved out neck, back. [He] didn't have no shirt on so I know every one of his tattoos were exposed," says Jacob.
Little Rock police say Sexton may have been high on Sherm but toxicology results are pending. Jacob says Sexton was more likely high on meth.
Lieutenant Steven McClanahan at Little Rock police says the department has a very strict Use of Force guideline.
"Each use of force at the Little Rock Police Department is sent up the chain of command for an evaluation. We do want to make sure they're justified, they're proper, that they are within our policy [and] that it was warranted under the circumstances," says Lt. McClanahan.
Officials say the entire incident was audio recorded and those recordings will be released to the public soon.
The two officers involved are Officer Eric Hollister and Officer Stephen Lichti. 
Hollister and Lichti have been placed on paid-administrative leave pending a full investigation.
Sources inside LRPD say the officers will likely be cleared in the investigation and they'll return to full duty soon.
KARK 4 News has received photos from the family that show bruises and lacerations on Sexton's body. At this point it's unclear if those were caused before or after he died.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News