Ark. moving forward with plans after health ruling
|Updated: 6/28/2012 1:39 pm
||Published: 6/28/2012 10:32 am
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Arkansas' insurance commissioner says the state is moving forward with its plans to implement the federal health care law after the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the overhaul.
Commissioner Jay Bradford told The Associated Press on Thursday that the state will continue moving toward a partnership with the federal government to set up an online marketplace for patients to shop for insurance policies. The marketplace is a key part of the health care law that justices upheld in a 5-4 ruling.
A legislative panel earlier this year accepted a $7.7 million grant for the marketplace.
Gov. Mike Beebe said in a statement that his office will study the impact the ruling will have on health care in Arkansas. He said the state is continuing with a separate Medicaid payment reform initiative.
A look at the federal health care law in Arkansas
Here is a look at where Arkansas stands on implementing President Barack Obama's federal health care overhaul, which the Supreme Court ruled Thursday can go forward:
NUMBER OF UNINSURED: 539,000 state residents are uninsured, or about 19%.
WHERE THE STATE STANDS NOW: Arkansas decided on a federal-state partnership for its online health insurance marketplace. Legislators blocked a bill by which the state would have created its own health insurance exchange but have since accepted a grant that will allow it to at least have a role in the federally-created exchange.
Copyright 2012 Newport Television LLC All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.