LITTLE ROCK, AR – An elderly woman on oxygen smoking in bed led to the fatal fire at Plaza Towers Apartments last week in Little Rock, fire officials said Thursday
According to Captain Randy Hickman of the Little Rock Fire Department, reconstruction teams found half of the headboard burned and several cigarette butts in the room of 72-year old Vertis Brown. 200 tenants were evacuated
during the three hours it took for the fire to be extinguished, and Brown later died
as a result of her injuries.
Residents began to move back
into the apartments on June 20, but were later evacuated again
due to a water leak.