Missing Boy's Family Discusses Struggle to Raise Awareness

Missing Boy's Family Discusses Struggle to Raise Awareness

The family of a missing teenager found dead in North Little Rock shares how they tried to spread the word and bring him home.
A North Little Rock family is mourning the death of a missing teenager while police ask the public to help in the search for his killer.

Sitting in the same park where she used to bring her cousin as a boy, Monday, Shannon Stewart grappled with the fact she will never see Austin Addie again.

"It's horrible, we just couldn't believe it. He's only 15 and there was nothing really said about him," she says.

Addie's grandmother reported him missing April 7th. Days later, his family started posting his picture online, trying to draw attention, hoping to help bring him home.

"There wasn't any Amber alert and we weren't getting any kind of information anywhere," says Stewart.

North Little Rock Police say they alerted over 200 officers and assigned a detective to the case but say it didn't meet the standard for public notice.

"While it's a tragedy and it's hard to deal with we just have so many missing juveniles during the year," says Sgt. Brian Dedrick.

Sgt. Dedrick added that Morgan Nick Amber alerts are sent out automatically for children under 12 and also for kids ages 14 and under who are in immediate danger. Addie turned 15 in March.

Five days after he went missing, police say someone riding a four wheeler found him shot to death, five and a half miles from home.

"After two days missing, maybe they could have said something and maybe we could have found him but there was nothing. We felt like we got no help really," says Stewart.

"While we wish this was not the outcome, we did what we did because of our policy and what our policy states," says Sgt. Dedrick.

Now police and loved ones are trying to spread the word again, hoping to help catch the killer and get justice for Addie.

North Little Rock Police say they did not have any indication Austin Addie was in immediate danger. Relatives say he never went a day without keeping in touch with family and they feared he was in danger the entire time
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus