ASU Heads To Semis after Wild 4 Overtime Win Over UALR

Arkansas State University's Melvin Johnson III converted a three-point play with 6.8 seconds left in the fourth overtime for the game winner as the Red Wolves claimed a 116-114 victory over UALR Friday night in Sun Belt Conference (SBC) Championship Tournament Quarterfinal-Round action at Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, La.

Johnson III, who was one of five A-State players to score double figures, finished with 19 points in a game which was the longest both in Sun Belt Conference and A-State history.  The contest featured 23 ties and 31 lead changes as A-State never held more than a three-point advantage throughout the entire contest.

The win advances A-State to this Saturday's (March 15) semifinals where the Red Wolves will take on SBC Regular-Season Champion and tourney number one seed Georgia State at 2 p.m. (CT).  The game will be televised on the Sun Belt Network and ESPN3.

For Johnson III, none was bigger than the senior guard's three-point play in the final seconds of the fourth overtime as Johnson III sank a free throw after having twisting through the Trojans' defenders in the paint for a layup and the go ahead basket.

"It was a classic and I'm proud of our team because they found a way to win it," said A-State head coach John Brady.  "We made enough plays to win the game and had it won two or three different times but we missed some free throws.  Both teams fought hard and got into foul trouble as the game went along.

"This was a great game and fun to watch for the fans," added Brady.

A-State had trailed by a point at 114-113 with 14 seconds left in the fourth overtime after UALR's Stetson Billings made the second of a two free throws.  But, Johnson III's basket and subsequent free throw made on a Trojans' foul put the Red Wolves up 116-114 with 6.8 seconds remaining.  UALR would have one final opportunity but senior guard Ed Townsel blocked Josh Hagins' three-point field goal attempt with about two seconds left and the Trojans were unable to get off a shot as the final buzzer sounded.

The Red Wolves managed to send the contest into a fourth overtime as senior guard Brandon Reed sank a pair of free throws with 19 seconds to go after being down 105-103 with under a minutes remaining.  Josh Hagins missed a three-pointer with four seconds left and Ed Townsel collected the rebound to end the third session tied all up at 105 apiece.

A-State appeared to have the game won in the second overtime, leading 97-94 with 6.7 seconds left on an Ed Townsel free throw.  But, UALR utilized the remaining time as Leroy Isler took the ball down the court and drained a three-pointer midst three A-State defenders with two seconds on the clock as the teams went into the third overtime knotted at 97-all.  In the first overtime, the Red Wolves trailed 89-87 with 1:28 to be played following a Josh Hagins' jumper.  However, A-State accounted for the final points as senior forward Kirk Van Slyke made both of his free throws with 29 ticks left on the clock to extend the game.

UALR claimed a 41-37 lead at halftime and would hold the upper hand with 1:20 left to be played in the second half at 76-70.  A-State proceeded to net the next seven points to go up 77-76 on Melvin Johnson III's driving layup with 7.7 seconds in regulation.  UALR's James White would notch the game-tying point on a free throw with 2.3 seconds remaining after being fouled on a shot off a defensive rebound.

Ed Townsel's career-high 32 points paced A-State while Kirk Van Slyke pumped in 24 points and Brandon Reed had 19.  Senior forward Kendrick Washington recorded his fourth double-double of this season with 11 points and a team-high 10 rebounds.

To watch highlights of the game click here

To watch the entire game again click here

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News