|Updated: 4/04/2012 6:14 pm
||Published: 4/04/2012 5:10 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Detectives found white powdery substances and a spoon with white residue in the hotel room where Whitney Houston died, according to the final autopsy report released Wednesday.
Houston had cocaine throughout her system when she died, the report said, and a "spoon with a white crystal like substance in it" was found.
"I also collected remnants of a white powdery substance from out of a drawer" and from a mirror found in the bathroom, coroner's supervisor Kristy McCracken wrote in the report.
The report does not specifically identify the substances as cocaine, although the drug was found in toxicology tests in Houston's heart and extremities.
The report provides a sad footnote to Houston's life, revealing the toll the singer's drug addiction took on her body.
When coroner's officials released Houston's cause of death two weeks ago, it showed the singer had lost her struggle with cocaine abuse.
An investigator noted a hole in the singer's nose that was listed under "history of substance abuse."
Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said he could not discuss how recently Houston may have used the drug or other details of the final report.
Beverly Hills police Lt. Mark Rosen said the investigation is still open and he could not comment on the findings.
On her final day alive, Houston complained of a sore throat, and an assistant suggested she take a bath before preparing for a pre-Grammy party, according to the report. She was found face-down in the bathtub of her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, and water had seeped throughout the suite by the time she was found.
Investigators initially expected drugs or alcohol played a role in her death, but no alcohol was found in her system. They eventually ruled her death an accidental drowning, with heart disease and cocaine use cited as contributing factors.
Houston's death came just hours before a pre-Grammy gala thrown by her mentor Clive Davis. She was attempting another comeback by starring in a remake of the film "Sparkle," in which she plays the mother of three girls who form a singing group and struggle with fame and drug addiction.
A trailer released Monday featured Houston prominently, including a snippet of her performance of the classic gospel song "His Eye Is on the Sparrow."
Toxicology results also showed Houston had marijuana, Xanax, the muscle relaxant Flexeril, and the allergy medication Benadryl in her system.
The singer also had buildup of plaque in her arteries that can restrict blood flow. Winter has said the condition is common in drug users. The report indicated a 60 percent blockage in the singer's right coronary artery.
The singer had battled addiction for years, but friends and family have said she appeared committed to making a comeback in the months before her death.
"The biggest devil is me. I'm either my best friend or my worst enemy," Houston told ABC's Diane Sawyer in an infamous 2002 television interview with then-husband Bobby Brown by her side.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)