|Updated: 12/15/2011 2:00 pm
||Published: 12/15/2011 9:10 am
BATESVILLE, AR – Officials from the Batesville Fire Department were on the scene of a strip mall fighting a fire Thursday morning.
According to Thomas Jackson with the Arkansas Department of Emergency management, the fire began in the kitchen of the Shang Hai restaurant at the Market Place shopping center located 3050 Harrison in Batesville. A passerby noticed smoke coming from the roof and notified authorities.
Police say eight businesses were evacuated from the strip mall. About 50 people were inside at the time of the fire. All occupants escaped safely.
According to reports, the fire was quickly extinguished and most of the damage was caused by smoke and water.