Juvenile shot after Riverfest Sunday night

Juvenile shot after Riverfest Sunday night

Little Rock Police say a juvenile was shot as guests left Riverfest Sunday night.
LITTLE ROCK, AR - After a weekend of partying downtown Little Rock, the festivities turned violent.

Police say a large fight broke out after Riverfest concerts let out Sunday night. Someone fired a gun, and one person ended up in the hospital. It happened around 11:45pm on the west side of the Peabody Hotel. A young man was shot in the lower leg. Police are not releasing his name because he is a juvenile. His injuries are not life-threatening. No one has been arrested in connection with the shooting.

260,000 people attended Riverfest, breaking the record by 10,000. The weather was hot, the music was loud, and the food was filling. Performer Nelly took the stage at 9:45pm. The concert ended around 11pm. The fight broke out 45 minutes later along President Clinton Avenue.

Large crowds didn't cause any problems for downtown businesses. Gusano's Pizza was busy from open to close all weekend long. The increase volume of traffic actually doubled sales.

Bar manager Jackson Whitbeck says the crowds weren't rowdy. "In here and even in the streets, it felt safe with the police presence."

Alex Dietz attended Riverfest with his family to enjoy the music and the food, and says the extra police presence is comforting. "I felt safe. I didn't have any issues with our safety."

Ruthie Rogers says a large crowd makes the event much more fun, and she looks forward to Riverfest every year. "Everyone was having a blast. I didn't witness any fighting. No belligerency, so that was good."

Riverfest attendees say they're not worried one incident that happened to one person after the event ended will ruin the fun for others.

Police are still investigating the fight, hoping with so many people downtown Sunday night, someone saw something that could be helpful to the case.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus