FOX16.com

Newly Adopted Benton Dog Dies of Parvo

Brooke Crump and Daniel Clay adopted a 9 week old lab-mix named Hemingway not knowing it had Parvo.
BENTON- A Benton couple is concerned after having to put their puppy down with Parvo the same day they adopted it , there may be more animals from the shelter sick with the disease.

Brooke Crump and Daniel Clay adopted a 9 week old lab-mix named Hemingway not knowing it had Parvo. Now their 2 other dogs have to undergo a series of shots and be quarantined to make sure they don't get the disease.

The couple says they don't want to speak ill of Benton Animal Control, but they do want to make sure what happened to them and their animals doesn't happen to anyone else.

Crump says the hardest part was when the vet told her the other dogs could possibly have it. Luckily 6-year-old Lucy is  ok, but Dexter can't come home yet until he's had a series of shots and the vet says its safe.

Benton Animal Control is willing to give them the $60 adoption fee back for Hemingway, but Crump and Clay are out hundreds of dollars in vet bills. They think it's only fair they be compensated for that too. They're also concerned for the other animals at the shelter, and other pet owners who could adopt a sick animal. "These people have a serious condition on their hands. Parvo is so contagious. It's very possible every dog in that facility has it."

So far, Crump and Clay are still waiting to hear from the shelter and the City of Benton about what steps will be taken. "We need to prevent this from ever happening again. We need to spread awareness of this."

Clay says even though they lost one pet and two others were put in danger, they won't let this bad experience stop them from rescuing other animals. "We still plan on adopting a dog in a few weeks once we feel comfortable bringing another animal into our home."

Crump and Clay say Benton Animal Control should test animals for disease and vaccinate them before they are eligible for adoption so other pet owners and pets aren't put at risk.

Parvo most commonly affects puppies and young dogs, but animals of all ages can become infected. Usually, the worst effects are on the intestines, causing vomiting and diarrhea that is often bloody, but it also affects the bone marrow and may damage the heart, causing it to fail. The disease is often fatal.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Weather Right Now

79°F
Clear
High: 91°F
Low: 75°F

7 day forecast