|Updated: 5/16/2012 9:59 am
||Published: 5/15/2012 9:58 pm
LITTLE ROCK, AR – Tuesday evening, as the 7am Wednesday deadline for Occupy Little Rock to move out of its downtown campsite approached, one member said he’d have to be arrested before he moves out.
"After I’m arrested, I am going to have a federal civil rights lawsuit against the City of Little Rock,” Occupy member Greg Deckleman said.
Deckleman and other occupiers were speaking at the Board of Directors meeting Tuesday night. The group couldn’t get on the agenda, so they used the public comment section to give the Little Rock directors a piece of their mind. The protest group is unhappy that they are being evicted from public property.
“We’re going to hold the government’s feet to the fire in this situation,” Deckleman said. “You know, we’ve been nice about it up to this point. We didn’t want it to get to this, and I guess people want it to go to this, so I guess that’s where we’re going.”
Deckleman is the same person who was cited last month for walking in the street during an occupy march. He says he has retained an attorney and plans on allowing police to arrest him peacefully Wednesday morning.
“We will be prepared at 7am. We will be there with Shipley’s doughnuts and coffee,” Deckleman said.
During Tuesday night’s meeting, City Manager Bruce Moore reaffirmed his right to put an end date on a public permit. City Director Lance Hines likened Occupy members to anarchists saying his Ward 5 voters want the group to leave the parking lot. He said Occupiers are like house guests who have worn out their welcome.