Update: Police Release Name of Violent Hit-and-Run Suspect

(Update, June 18):
LITTLE ROCK, AR - 33-year-old Christopher Kopp is the man who police say ran on foot after causing a traffic accident, attacked a clerk at a gas station and then fought with multiple police officer.

This was the scene just after 3:00 on Tuesday afternoon as officers tried to subdue Kopp. The fight went on for about five minutes and it took some pepper spray and at least three officers before Kopp was taken into custody.

This all going down at a Shell Gas station off Cantrell Road just west of 430 after he ran from a crash right up the street.

According to a police report Kopp was taken to UAMS where he was listed in critical condition after a possible drug overdose.

Officers say they found a white crystal like and green vegetable substnce when they searched him.

(Original Story, June 17):
LITTLE ROCK, AR -- Two Little Rock Police officers fought with a belligerent man who witnesses say ran away from a hit-and-run crash just after 3 p.m. Tuesday.

It took a third Little Rock officer and some pepper spray before the man was finally subdued.

"He hit the car next to me... and then he smashed into the side of my truck," said Tom DeLuca who was sitting at a stop light on Cantrell Rd. just west of I-430 when it happened.

DeLuca was on the way to meet his son. Witnesses said the suspect then took off on foot, showing up at a Shell gas station at 11401 Cantrell Rd. where Tom DeLuca's son happened to be.

"The dude is freaking out," Blake DeLuca said. "He must have been doped up or something."

Witnesses say the man attacked a clerk inside the gas station.

"This is a nice neighborhood," said the clerk, Kiah Creggett. "I just don't understand why you even have to come over here. [He] scared me, and I'm shook up."

When police officers showed up, the fight was on.

"They were hitting him with mace and everything and handcuffed him," said Blake DeLuca. "The dude still got up."

The man refused to give up until he was cuffed at the hands and feet, picked up and placed inside a police cruiser.

"I just hope the police keep him in jail, because he needs to be there," Creggett said.

No one was seriously injured in the incident. The man's name has not yet been released. Officers at the scene said he's facing charges of battery, both on the store clerk and officers, and for fleeing the scene of an accident. 

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News