Fayetteville , Arkansas -
FAYETTEVILLE, AR (News release) - Big Red, the University of Arkansas’ Mascot, has been named to the 2014 Capital One All-America Mascot Team and will make his debut in the Mascot Challenge this season when competition opens on Aug. 25 at midnight. The overall champion of the Mascot Challenge will be determined by the highest point total accumulated during the various phases of voting.
Keep track of Big Red’s journey to become the top mascot in the country on Arkansas’ Facebook page or Instagram accounts or through Big Red’s Twitter account. Fans can vote for Big Red up to 50 times a day by going to www.CapitalOneMascots.com and clicking his “Vote Now” button.
The 12-week regular season starts Aug. 25 and runs through Sunday, Dec. 7, 2014 and pits Big Red against the best-of-the-best mascots from across the nation in head-to-head competition. Fittingly, Big Red will face Aubie the Tiger in the first week of the football season when Arkansas and Auburn play each other (Aug. 30) in both teams’ football season opener. Razorback fans are needed to support Big Red throughout the season to give him a chance to win the competition.
Big Red’s regular-season schedule includes match-ups against the following:
- Week 1 (Aug. 25) vs. Auburn Tigers (Aubie the Tiger)
- Week 2 (Sept. 1) vs. Akron Zips (Zippy)
- Week 3 (Sept. 8) vs. Boise State (Buster Bronco)
- Week 4 (Sept. 15) vs. Oregon State (Benny Beaver)
- Week 5 (Sept. 22) vs. Arizona (Wilma T. Wildcat)
- Week 6 (Sept. 29) vs. UCLA (Joe Bruin)
- Week 7 (Oct. 6) vs. Michigan State (Sparty)
- Week 8 (Oct. 13) vs. Minnesota (Goldy Gopher)
- Week 9 (Oct. 20) vs. Georgia Tech (Buzz)
- Week 10 (Oct. 27) vs. Iowa State (Cy the Cardinal)
- Week 11 (Nov. 3) vs. Syracuse (Otto the Orange)
- Week 12 (Nov. 10) vs. South Carolina (Cocky)
Other mascots competing but not facing Arkansas – The Citadel (Spike the Bulldog), Ohio State (Brutus the Buckeye) and Western Kentucky (Big Red).
Mascots earn points in three different ways:
- Challenge Level 1: Click the "Vote Now" button to vote for the applicable mascot. The Mascot will automatically receive one (1) point.
- Challenge Level 2: Visit www.capitalonemascots.com to view the Level 2 Challenge for the applicable voting period. Complete and post/share the Challenge on Facebook or Twitter, including the mascot's hashtag (#CapitalOneBigRedUA). The hashtag must be included in the entry to receive the points. For each approved Level 2 Challenge, the applicable mascot will receive fifty (50) points.
- Challenge Level 3: Visit www.capitalonemascots.com to view the Level 3 Challenge for the applicable voting period. Complete and post/share the Challenge on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram, including the mascot's hashtag (#CapitalOneBigRedUA). The hashtag must be included in the entry to receive the points. For each approved Level 3 Challenge, the applicable mascot will receive one hundred (100) points.
After the initial 12 weeks of competition, the eight mascots who earned the most points in the regular season will advance to the "playoffs-voting phase." Those eight participants will be seeded based on their win-loss record during the regular season voting phase. Action continues when the Top-4 point earners move on to week 14 of competition. The 2014 Capital One Challenge culminates with the Top-2 mascot point earners battling it out for the crown via social media from Dec. 1-7. The winner will be formally announced on Jan. 1, 2015 at the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Fla. The winning school will be awarded a $20,000 scholarship toward its mascot program. Each participating Capital One All-America mascot’s school will also receive $5,000 for their respective mascot program.
The team brings a seven-game winning streak to Central Arkansas.
The first game will air on Friday, March 17, when the Hogs open SEC…
Arkansas Head Coach Bret Bielema and Virginia Tech Head Coach Justin…