Receiving presents for children is exciting but when they have to go to the hospital during the holidays, all the fun goes away.
Specific sights and sounds bring the holidays to life but, most of them also contain button batteries which are hazardous to children.
U.S. Poison Control Centers receive about 3,500 button battery ingestions each year.
These batteries come in many different sizes and can easily be removed from a device.
Dr. Michal Benninger with the Cleveland Clinic says,"They can cause erosion of the esophagus or swallowing tube or in the stomach. They can obstruct an airway or they can obstruct swallowing."
If a child complains of stomach or chest pains, or is gagging, choking, or drooling go to the emergency room immediately.