1. From one point to another within the same cloud.
2. From a cloud to clear air.
3. From cloud to cloud.
4. From cloud to ground.
- Cloud to ground lightning is the most deadly.
- It can cause death and serious injury in a matter of seconds.
- Lightning creates thunder. If you hear thunder it means lightning is near and you are in danger. You can be struck ten miles from the cloud that produced the lightning.
- Don't be fooled by blue sky. (Clouds can be miles away and lightning can still strike.)
- Remember the 30-30 rule: When you see lightning, count until you hear thunder. If it is
- 30 seconds or less, the thunderstorm is within 6 miles.
- Find shelter inside a building.
- Never seek shelter under a tree
- That tree can act as a lightning rod.
- You could be killed or seriously injured if the tree is struck.
- Stay away from water and metal, because both conduct electricity.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Avoid contact with anything that conducts electricity.
- telephones with a cord, such as a landline phone.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.