Editor's note: This story was updated on March 8 to include recall information from Chicken of the Sea.
March 7, 2013 -- Bumble Bee Foods and Chicken of the Sea are recalling some of their tuna because the cans might not be sealed tightly.
If you have 5-ounce cans of Bumble Bee or Brunswick Chunk White Albacore or Chunk Light Tuna, or the 5-ounce can of Chicken of the Sea Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water, you should throw them away, the companies say.
The loose seals or seams could allow the tuna to be contaminated, although neither company has reports of any illnesses related to the products.
The recalled tuna products are:
- Brunswick Brand 5-ounce Chunk Light Tuna in Water
- Bumble Bee Brand 5-ounce Chunk Light Tuna in Water
- Bumble Bee Brand 5-ounce Chunk Light Tuna in Vegetable Oil
- Bumble Bee Brand 5-ounce Chunk White Albacore in Water
- Chicken of the Sea 5-ounce Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water
The Bumble Bee tuna was distributed nationwide between Jan. 17, 2013, and Feb. 28, 2013. It has "best used by dates" of Jan. 16, 2016, to Jan. 18, 2016.
Tri-Union Seafoods LLC says the Chicken of the Sea tuna was distributed in single cans between Feb. 4-27, 2013.
The FDA has the cans' UPC and lot codes. Bumble Bee can be contacted at 800-800-8572.
Tri-Union Seafoods LLC can be reached at 800-597-5898.