Living Well: Spinal cord stimulation

Keeponamazing

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.- If Barbara Belcher-Gray was asked to lift her knee a year ago, that wouldn’t have happened.

She was in terrible pain.

“I went to physical therapy, I had surgery, I had injections in my back,” says Belcher-Gray. “I could not get any relief.”

She’s tried just about everything to make the chronic pain go away.

Everyday tasks seemed nearly impossible for her, like doing laundry, watering plants, even going out for lunch.

“Is this all there is?” she asks. “You know, I hope I’ve got more to life than just sitting here in pain all the time.”

Barbara felt helpless at times but found her way to the Baptist Health Comprehensive Spine and Pain Clinic to get help.

“So many of the patients that I see have already tried and failed more conservative things,” says anesthesiologist Sheffield Kent.

Kent introduced Belcher-Gray to spinal cord stimulation. Kent says it’s an effective and drug-free way to treat chronic pain.

“A spinal cord stimulator uses small electrical current the same way our nerves communicate with themselves in the body to actually block pain signals,” Kent explains.

What makes the procedure so popular is spinal cord stimulation is safe and minimally invasive.

The results are even more enticing.

Kent says the therapy can improve quality of life, reduce how much medication you need and also help people get active.

“I would say probably 7, 8 hours a day, I have zero pain and do all the things I’ve always wanted to do,” Belcher-Gray says. “He gave me my life back, which I wanted back so bad.”

Whether it’s shopping or being outdoors, Barbara feels she’s in the driver’s seat again, taking control of her life.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Nutrition.jpg
Fitness.jpg
TellYourSTory.jpg

Your life is an amazing journey, and our purpose is to guide you to health, heal you from sickness or injury, support your recovery and celebrate health in all forms. Here you'll find healthy resources, tips and inspiring stories so you can continue to be amazing. CLICK HERE for more Amazing stories and information.

More Amazing Tips
More Don't Miss