Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- WHITE HOUSE DUSTS OFF MUELLER PLAYBOOK FOR IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY
Countermeasures include discrediting government officials at the heart of the story, dispatching allies to muddy the picture and leaning on Republicans in Congress to provide cover.
- WHEN TRUMP ADMINISTRATION OFFICIALS FOUND OUT ABOUT WHISTLEBLOWER
They learned about a CIA officer’s concerns about the president around the same time the person filed a complaint, sources tell AP.
- BRITISH-FLAGGED OIL TANKER HELD BY IRAN LET GO
Iran seized the ship in July in the Strait of Hormuz, a raid that saw commandos rappel down onto the vessel via helicopter carrying assault rifles.
- HOW AFGHANS FEEL ABOUT UPCOMING POLLS
Experiencing fear, frustration and a sense of duty, some are undecided about defying Taliban warnings not to vote in this weekend’s presidential election.
- TORONTO VAN ATTACK SUSPECT SPEAKS OUT
A newly released video shows a man who allegedly used a van to kill 10 pedestrians telling police that sexual frustration prompted the attack.
- WITH MASS SHOOTINGS, POLICE TACTICS CHANGE
Soon after Ohio police officers stopped the carnage in downtown Dayton in early August, they used their training to begin saving the wounded.
- RESEARCHERS FIND GENETIC LINK IN RARE REACTION TO PET GERM
After a lick from a dog, a Wisconsin man lost parts of his limbs because of an associated germ that rarely affects healthy people, something researchers are blaming on a gene change.
- CHICAGO TEACHERS VOTE TO AUTHORIZE A STRIKE
The move sets the stage for a possible work stoppage next month in the nation’s third largest school district.
- MILITARY SUICIDES SURGE TO A RECORD HIGH
The Army, Navy and Marine Corps all saw the rate of suicides go up, with only the Air Force showing a decrease, according to data released by the Pentagon.
- EAGLES OUTLAST PACKERS
Nigel Bradham picked off Aaron Rodgers’ pass in the end zone with 20 seconds left and Jordan Howard scored three touchdowns as Philadelphia beat Green Bay 34-27.