LITTLE ROCK, AR – Sixteen people, half of whom are either school principals or teachers, have been named to the Governor’s Council on Common Core Review.
In an afternoon news release, Governor Asa Hutchinson said these individuals come from every corner of the state, representing every Congressional District, and were chosen out of more than 700 applicants.
Lt. Gov. Tim Griffin will chair the panel.
Parents, business leaders and students, round out the membership.
“While they might have different perspectives on Common Core, they all bring an open mind and a willingness to listen. Most importantly, though, each member agrees that high standards for Arkansas students is a must and will focus on such throughout this process,” the release stated.
Members are as follows:
- Kay Giddens, Searcy. Parent Representative.
- Gary Rhinehart, Scranton. Scranton Elementary, Principal.
- Lisa Cooper, Melbourne. Northcentral Arkansas Education Services Cooperative, Teacher.
- Mike Luttrell, Springdale. Walker Brothers Insurance, President.
- Jason Williamson, Ozan. Nashville Junior High School, Assistant Principal.
- Theresa Courtney-Ketcher, Little Rock. Forest Park Elementary School, Principal.
- Luke Van De Walle, Helena. Chief Academic Officer, KIPP Delta Public School.
- Jonathon Guthrie, Bentonville. Lincoln Junior High, Principal.
- Dianna Lowe, Texarkana. Texarkana Arkansas School District, Secondary Curriculum Specialist & Advanced Placement Coordinator.
- Cindy Allen, Fort Smith. Chaffin Junior High, Teacher.
- Jacob Smith, Paragould. University of Arkansas, Student.
- Kalven Trice, Little Rock. Retired.
- Sherry Hicks, Dardanelle. First State Bank.
- Charisse Dean, Little Rock. Parent Representative.
- Kayla Davidson, Jonesboro. Westside Middle School, Teacher.
- Jeanne Gartman, Sheridan. Sheridan High School, Teacher.
Lieutenant Governor Tim Griffin today issued the following statement after the list of names was released:
“Governor Hutchinson’s selections for his Council on Common Core Review will provide a range of helpful backgrounds and perspectives from all corners of the State. I am eager to work with each of the Governor’s 16 appointees. As Chairman, I will be releasing a schedule of council meetings after I have had an opportunity to speak with the other members.”