STUART, Fla. — A Florida man fatally shot his pregnant wife after he thought he heard an intruder outside his bedroom door, according to WPBF.
The shooting happened just around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday in Stuart.
Martin County Sheriff William Snyder said the man called 911, telling dispatchers he accidentally shot his wife.
She was taken to a hospital where she died. The woman was six months pregnant, and doctors were able to save the baby, according to WPBF.
A 2-year-old child also in the home was not injured.
The sheriff says the man gave detectives a detailed account of what happened.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Inauguration prop bets: How long will Biden’s address last?
- Florida police looking for road-raging bikers who beat driver with wrench, helmets
- Coronavirus deaths rising in 30 US states amid winter surge
- Sam Walton, Johnny Cash included in Trump’s National Garden of American Heroes
- Garth Brooks set to perform at Biden inauguration, says it’s ‘not a political statement’