Update: Arrest connected to dog shooting case, Federal Firearms take over



NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — On Saturday, December 14 at 12:45 p.m. Officers with the North Little Rock Police Department responded to the 100 block of South Spruce in reference to someone shooting a dog.

Detectives with the North Little Rock Police Department were notified and opened an investigation into the incident.

That investigation was then handed over the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF).

At this time, the North Little Rock Police can advise that 49-year-old Gary Levell Harris of North Little Rock has been taken into federal custody and has been charged with Felon in Possession of a Firearm and/or Ammunition.

Mr. Harris will appear in U.S. Magistrate Judge Beth Deere’s Court on Monday, December 23 at 1:30 p.m.

For further information regarding this investigation please contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms or the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Original Story:

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — A dog owner is furious after she says her pet was shot in the head in her neighborhood.

According to this police report from the North Little Rock Police Department, this is an active cruelty to animals investigation.

Sol, the Golden Retriever that was shot is going on three days of treatment at the Hillcrest Animal Hospital.

The report says a witness says they saw a man yell at the dog then shoot the animal at point blank range in the driveway, and the witness also stated that her children witnessed the incident.

The owner, Estefany Perez, says her dog was on her property at the time and would never hurt anyone.

The X-rays show the bullet lodged into the dog’s head is unable to be removed by surgery. Now Perez says justice needs to be served.

“I definitely want him to be punished to the full extent of the law, and it’s terrifying to think someone out there that could do this and is just capable of shooting a puppy…I mean he’s only 9 months old and I don’t know who could think about doing that not once but twice,” she says.

Police are continuing to investigate after this happened on Saturday. They say they have a suspect, but no arrest has been made at this time.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories