LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – It has been three weeks since Kenton Buckner vacated his post as Little Rock’s top cop for the same job in Syracuse, New York.
A search is underway, and city officials announced in November it take as long as 90 days.
As of Dec. 4, nearly two dozen people have applied to become the next Police Chief at the Little Rock Police Department, according to documents and applications we have obtained through a Freedom of Information request.
According to the 23 applications we obtained, the group of applicants spans the country and includes:
– A retired lawman with 33 years experience at the Los Angeles Police Department
– The Deputy Chief at the Atlanta Police Department.
– The Deputy Chief at the Denver Police Department.
– A Captain at the Fort Worth Police Department.
– A Lt. Colonel at the Memphis Police Department.
– The current Police Chief at the Norman (Okla.) Police Department.
In the state of Arkansas, applicants come from various agencies, which include:
– The Assistant Police Chief at the Searcy Police Department.
– A Sergeant at the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office.
– The Chief of security at DHS who doubles as a Secret Service agent. and listed in his paperwork that he protected president Bill Clinton in the late 90s.
– The Police Chief in Trumann who recently suffered injuries after getting shot on duty earlier this year. He was named Police Chief of the year (2018) by the Association of Arkansas Police Chiefs.
During his campaign, Little Rock Mayor-elect Frank Scott Jr. listed a few of his desired qualities in the city’s next top cop.
“What I would like to do is make certain that that next Police Chief has proven leadership as it relates to community policing,” Scott said during a televised debate on KARK/Fox 16 before the runoff election.
“[A Police Chief who] Understands cultural competency, de-escalation tactics and implicit bias.”
Among the recent applicants, at least one is a licensed attorney, some have Master’s degrees, a couple have Doctorate degrees, some are retired and some double as a law enforcement officer and a professor.
More people are expected to apply in the coming weeks.
The Police Chief opening on the city website lists a salary range of $117,000 – $142,000 per year.