Toppled candle possibly cause of apartment fire in Yell county

Local News

YELL COUNTY, Ark. – A woman was taken to the hospital after a fire broke out inside an apartment bedroom at a Yell county complex.

The Morse Hill Apartments, which are government-assisted, are located in the Ola community.

Fire crews say the fire might have been caused after a candle fell onto a mattress in an elderly woman’s bedroom. Smoke caused most of the damage, and no other parts of the complex appeared to be affected.

Neighbors in the area say the woman whose room caught on fire had just lost her husband weeks ago. People in the complex were eager to help the woman.

She was taken to the hospital to be checked out for smoke inhalation, according to people at the scene.

 “[I] went up there and helped keep her calm and got wet towels and put over her head,” Cassandra Caldwell says.

“The rest of it is just a matter of a lot of laundry washing and cleanup, and we’re going to get it done.”

Caldwell had grabbed the woman’s bedding and pillows that avoided damage to hold until the woman got out of the hospital

 “Everyone needs a little bit of help,” Caldwell says.

The woman is expected to be OK.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

Get Your Arkansas State Fair Tickets!

More Don't Miss

Lottery News Local News