SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (WTEN) — If you’re strolling around Saratoga Springs, New York, don’t be surprised if you see police horses sporting some protective gear.
Out of an abundance of caution, horses in the Mounted Patrol Unit have been outfitted with face shields.
According to a Facebook post by Saratoga Springs Public Safety, the horses are instrumental in crowd control – meaning they have a lot of contact with the public.
Recent protests turning aggressive have also become a safety issue, which raised the need for the masks, according to the department.
- Following 18-month investigation, Senate passes bill protecting Olympic athletes from abuse
- FOX16 Investigates: Lawsuit filed against Perry County Sheriff’s Office over sexual harassment claims
- Babe: When camp isn’t camp
- Family of man killed in South Little Rock hit and run speaks out
- LRPD giving away gun locks across the city