Official: Bars can’t be held accountable after intoxicated woman crashes into ambulance


LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – On January 6, Brianna Carter’s life ended on Interstate 40 in Maumelle after a head-on crash with a MEMS ambulance.

The Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Enforcement Division released its final report which shows Carter’s blood alcohol level was .16, double the legal limit to drive.

“Not so much what we found, it’s what we couldn’t find,” says ABC Enforcement Director Boyce Hamlet

Hamlet says they were able to confirm Carter was smoking marijuana the night of the accident, a reason why ABC can’t hold any bars accountable.

“We looked into several places she might have been. At the end of the day, the only place we could tie her to was one establishment,” says Hamlet.

According to the ABC report, that’s Midtown Billiards, where investigators believe Carter had three to four beers and a shot of whiskey.

“What we didn’t find was enough evidence,” says Hamlet.

Carter’s mother believes her daughter may have been drugged, but the State Crime Lab’s findings don’t show that, or the marijuana, in Carter’s body.

Despite finding Carter’s .16 blood alcohol level and traces of nicotine in her body, the lab noted ‘insufficient sample for normal testing’.

Arkansas State Crime Lab Executive Director Kermit Channell released the following statement:

“With a limited sample quantity, we can still perform the appropriate testing and detect drugs. We may not be able to detect small quantities of a drug that may be present. Anything with a significant presence will be detected.”

“It’s a tragic situation, it’s a very sad situation,” says Hamlet.

Although the Crime Lab couldn’t find positive traces of marijuana in Carter’s body, Hamlet says he’s confident in the agency’s investigation, and that the case is closed.

ABC investigators originally reported in January that Carter could be seen on surveillance system at Midtown Billiards speaking with staff and a Little Rock police officer before leaving the establishment. Police officials say the file of that interaction with Carter and the officer is currently being reviewed.

Two medics were injured in January’s crash, which happened around 5:30 a.m. One medic has returned to duty and the other continues to recover.

The ambulance was not transporting a patient at the time.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories