HOPE, AR – It’s official. Mike Huckabee is joining the 2016 presidential race.
The Republican candidate and former Arkansas governor made the announcement this morning in his hometown of Hope.
Speaking from Hempstead Hall on the campus of the University of Arkansas Community College, Huckabee announced his second run for the White House.
His campaign schedule is off and running over the next few days with the following stops in Iowa and South Carolina::
- May 6: Gov. Huckabee hosts “Factories, Farms and Freedom” listening session with workers at Clow Valve in Oskaloosa, Iowa and at Living History Farms in Urbandale, Iowa
- May 7: Gov. Huckabee hosts “Factories, Farms & Freedom” rally at Charlies’s American Grill in Sioux City, Iowa and Pizza Ranch in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- May 8: Gov. Huckabee finalizes “Factories, Farms & Freedom” tour with economic opportunity address titled “America’s Maximum Wage” at Embassy Suites Golf Resort & Conference Center in Greenville, S.C.
Huckabee is the sixth Republican to enter the race.
Here are quotes from his campaign announcement:
- “With your help and God’s we’ll make that journey from Hope to higher ground.”
- “I cannot do it (run for president) without people being my partners.”
- “You can’t spend money you don’t have. The government should live by a balanced budget law.”
- “The federal Department of Education should be expelled.”
- “There are some things being done at the federal level that should be left to the states.”
- “I’ll fight for term limits for all three branches of government.”
- “I will never ever apologize for America. Ever.”
- “America can do anything it sets its mind to.”
- “You will get what you paid for. (referring to social security)”
- “I learned how to govern. I learned how to lead with a democratic legislature.”
- “The war on poverty hasn’t ended poverty, it’s prolonged it.”