Update: Bomb Squad Called to Home of Suspected LR Air Force Base Gunman

News
Update (5 p.m.):
JACKSONVILLE, AR – The Little Rock Fire Department has confirmed that a bomb squad has been called out to the home of gunman involved in Little Rock Air Force base shooting on Monday morning.

Base officials say the armed suspected tried to gain unauthorized access to the base gate around 9:15 a.m.

The suspect was in custody and in critical condition at a Little Rock hospital at a last report. One by stander was taken to a Jacksonville hospital for non-related medical care and has been released.

Update (2 p.m.):
JACKSONVILLE, AR – An armed suspect incident at the front gate remains under investigation at Little Rock Air Force Base after guards shot a man there this morning.

Base officials say the suspect described as a white male, tried to gain unauthorized access to the base gate at around 9:15.

Speaking at a news conference early Monday afternoon, Col. Charles E. Brown Jr., Commander of the 19th Airlift Wing at the base, told reporters that the suspect was getting out of his vehicle armed with a weapon when he was shot by base employees. Col. Brown said he did not know if the suspect fired his weapon. 

The suspect was in custody and in critical condition at a Little Rock hospital at last report. One bystander was taken to a Jacksonville hospital for non-related medical care and had been released. 

Response teams cleared the scene within a few hours and lifted the base lockdown. The Arnold Drive and Harris Road gates were reopened for inbound and outbound traffic but the base’s main (Vandenberg) gate remained closed until further notice.

Base officials say they are working with the Jacksonville Police Department, the Air Force Office of Special Investigation and the FBI on the case.

Update (12:50 p.m.):
JACKSONVILLE, AR – A second news release issued by the Little Rock Air Force Base about today’s shooting incident at the front gate provides new details.

It’s pasted here in its entirety:
Base and local officials are continuing to respond to an armed suspect incident that occurred at the front gate today. The suspect attempted to gain unauthorized access to the base gate this morning at approximately 9:15 a.m.

The suspect is in custody and has been transported to UAMS for medical treatment and is in critical condition. One bystander was transported to North Metro hospital for non-related medical care and has been released.  

Response teams have cleared the scene and have lifted the base lockdown. Base officials will continue to coordinate with Jacksonville Police Department, the Air Force Office of Special Investigation and the FBI.
 
The safety and well-being of base members, their families and our community members are base leaders’ top priority. More information will be provided as details become available.

Update (12:05 p.m.):
JACKSONVILLE, AR – Officials with Little Rock Air Force Base say the injury to a second person in this morning’s shooting incident at the front gate was not related to the shooting.

No other details have been provided on how that person was hurt. It’s also not yet known what the condition is of the individual who was shot when tried to gain access to the base around 9:15 this morning.

Base officials also said shortly before noon that they were doing a sweep of the base to make sure the threat is over.

Both of the people injured are civilians.

Update (10:45 a.m.):
JACKSONVILLE, AR – The Little Rock Air Force Base has been placed on lockdown after a shooting at the front gate on Vandenberg Drive.

In a news release issued just after 10:30 a.m. Monday, base officials said two individuals had been taken to the hospital after an active threat occurred at around 9:15.

The Jacksonville Police Department told reporter Drew Petrimoulx at the scene that they believe the individuals tried to gain access to the base and were shot. 

The base has currently locked down all entry control points to the installation and the base’s gates are closed to inbound and outbound traffic until further notice.

First responders for the base are on-scene coordinating with Jacksonville Police Department and the Air Force Office of Special Investigation, the release continued, adding that the safety of base members and their families are of base leaders’ utmost concern. 

The extent of the injuries to those wounded is not yet known. 

Original story (9:45 a.m.):
JACKSONVILLE, AR – One person has been shot and another is in police custody after a Monday morning incident outside the main gate of Little Rock Air Force Base.

That’s according to the Jacksonville Police Department.

On its Facebook page, officials with the base posted the following around 10:15 a.m.:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Base security personnel are responding to an incident at the base gate. All base gates are currently closed to traffic. All personnel and visitors are advised to stay away of the from the main gate area until further notice.

The extent of the wounded person’s injuries is not yet known. 

More information to come.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories