Who investigates complaints?


If you file a complaint for an alleged violation of a federal law such as the Fair Housing Act, you must report it to the Secretary of Housing And Urban Development. Within ten days the Secretary will assign someone from Housing and Urban Development to investigate. This investigation will be concluded with a report and a conciliation of the problem. If this isn’t complied with, the case can then be turned over to the office of the Attorney General of the United States who’ll commence an investigation of their own within 30 days. If you’re filing a complaint about a state or local law, a representative from your local housing agency will be appointed to investigate. For more information about who investigates housing complaints, contact a real estate attorney in your area.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories